Face to Face
SEN Gallery sessions
Dame Zaha Hadid
by Michael Craig-Martin
Sessions last 90 mins
The maximum group size is 12 pupils (plus teachers)
10.30 – 12.00 subject to availability
We welcome visits from SEN Schools and Units. We are currently able to offer mild to moderate SEN groups Gallery-based Art & Design sessions offering a rich cultural experience that helps build pupils’ confidence in looking at and responding to portraiture.
The sessions explore themes of Image and Identity (including self-portraiture) represented in a variety of portraiture techniques on display in the Gallery.
Face to Face sessions aim to support pupils’:
- Development of vocabulary through speaking and listening about Art and Portraiture.
- Understanding of Emotion, Expressions and Body Language.
- Encourage analysis of Pose, Character, Colour, Symbols through close observation, questioning and drawing
- Exploration of Gallery spaces
- To view and analyse art in a sympathetic environment
- Collect ideas for further development back in the classroom.
All sessions take place in the Gallery spaces in front of the portraits.
Break out space and lunch room available for use - please specify if required when booking.
Once your booking has been confirmed you will receive some pre-visit imagery to familiarise your class with the Gallery spaces in advance of their visit.
All sessions now fully booked for 2017/18 academic year
Image banner: Photograph Marysa Dowling ©National Portrait Gallery, London
Schools and colleges
A unique opportunity for students to meet artists associated with the National Portrait Gallery.
Sign up to our Schools’ newsletter to keep up to date with teacher events & opportunities for your class.
A project encouraging young artists with opportunities to gain insights from past BP Portrait Award artists.